Guest: Kabir Laiwalla
Kabir Laiwalla has been the leader of Platinum FCU for more than 20 years. Founded in December 1999, Platinum FCU is a unique credit union that focuses on serving the financial needs of Shia Imami Ismaili Community Members. Kabir explains how his small credit union fits the needs of their community and keeps them members for life. Tune in to this episode to get more insight from Kabir and Mark on this episode of Credit Union Conversations.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [02:19] Kabir’s journey, starting in Mumbai, India, pursuing his CPA, and moving to the US.
- [08:00] Platinum FCU, a faith based credit union serving the Shia Imami Ismaili Community.
- [12:48] Platinum’s mission to help educate immigrants with finances in the US.
- [17:14] Giving business opportunities for those new to the US.
- [23:47] The Platinum Scholarship.
- [31:00] Kabir’s thoughts on the future of Platinum FCU.
- Credit unions can give a sense of community and belonging within certain faiths.
- Meet your community with your business in areas that are lacking.
- Understand the needs of current members, and always strive to bridge the gaps.
Are you a small business owner or real estate investor looking for financing?
Kabir Laiwalla is the leader of Platinum FCU for more than 20 years. Platinum Federal Credit Union was founded in December 1999 to serve the financial needs of Shia Imami Ismaili Community Members. Today, with over 9,000 members and assets in excess of $100 million, we are among the fastest growing credit unions.
Mark Ritter is the CEO of MBFS and an expert in credit unions and business lending. His primary role at MBFS is overseeing the strategy of helping credit unions assist members with business needs and consulting with credit unions on planning the delivery of services to their membership.
“It’s the most satisfying thing ever to hear that when they came to this country we gave them that small loan and then over the years they might be at their 22nd loan or the seventh loan with us.”Kabir Laiwalla
“They have grown so much and in between they have, now they have established themselves that they can go to any financial institution and get that million dollar loan, but they choose to come to us again.”Kabir Laiwalla